Monday 16 February 2015

Getting Back on the Saddle

Postgraduate student, Polly, moved to Manchester to study Occupational Psychology after graduating from the University of Bristol. Having not touched a bicycle for over a decade, she now shares how she got back on the saddle.

polly


I was a late bloomer in terms of my love of cycling, it's embarrassing to admit that I only had my stabilisers removed at the age of 9! And while my friends were whizzing round on flashy bikes, I was a wobbling mess! My main sporting interests were swimming and running, and over the years I competed in many aquathlons (combined swimming and running races) but even then I was always too scared to attempt a triathlon due to my lack of confidence in cycling. It sounds silly to say but, in some ways, I was scared of cycling due to the fact that you must let yourself be at one with the bike and to an extent, let the bike carry you!

pollycc


I was forced to confront my fears when I began my third year of university in Bristol. I knew that if I got a bicycle, I could get out of bed 10 minutes later for lectures! The thought of an extra lie-in prompted me to scour the internet for my new best friend – my bicycle. I had no idea what kind of bicycle I was looking for, and was taken back by the sheer variety of types and styles. I had a tight budget, but finally found a ladies city bike across town in almost perfect condition for £80. As I held the handlebars of my new investment whilst riding home, I felt a new sense of freedom. I could finally travel where I liked, explore the many cycle routes of the city and even attempt the famous cycle route from Bristol to Bath.

pollyshoes


Since buying my bicycle, I’m pleased to say that I have become a true cycling convert. I saw more of the city of Bristol than I ever would have done on foot, and the fitness benefits are of course a plus. All my previous fears of cycling have truly been quashed; I think the turning moment probably came whilst on holiday, when riding through the crazy, daunting confusion that was Beijing city centre in China at rush hour! I may have been close to having a heart attack but it was also one of the most exhilarating moments of my life! Now that I’ve moved to Manchester, it's been exciting to discover a completely new city by bike!

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 22.28.05

Polly is pictured here at the entrance of the Fallowfield Loop (Just off Sherwood Street, Fallowfield - 2 minutes from Sainsbury's!). For those of you haven't heard of this hidden gem, it's a continuous off-road track surrounded by lots of lush greenery. Perfect for long walks, runs and of course - cycling! An escape from the urban life as well as acting as a shortcut to Chorlton and St. Werburgh's Road Metro Station.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 13.08.46

Interested in getting involved with Manchester Student Cycle Chic, then drop us a message on the Get On Your Bike Facebook Page!

Safe cycling!

K.E.G. x




No comments:

Post a Comment